Surah 90: Balad, or “The City,”
Reproduced from the original English translation of the Qur’ān by ‘Abdullah Yūsuf ‘Alī (April 1934)
1. I do call to witness this City;-
2. And thou art a freeman of this City;-
3. And (the mystic ties of) parent and child;-
4. Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.
5. Thinketh he, that none hath power over him?
6. He may say (boastfully); Wealth have I squandered in abundance!
7. Thinketh he that none beholdeth him?
8. Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?-
9. And a tongue, and a pair of lips?-
10. And shown him the two highways?
11. But he hath made no haste on the path that is steep.
12. And what will explain to thee the path that is steep?-
13. (It is:) freeing the bondman;
14. Or the giving of food in a day of privation
15. To the orphan with claims of relationship,
16. Or to the indigent (down) in the dust.
17. Then will he be of those who believe, and enjoin patience, (constancy, and self-restraint), and enjoin deeds of kindness and compassion.
18. Such are the Companions of the Right Hand.
19. But those who reject Our Signs, they are the (unhappy) Companions of the Left Hand.
20. On them will be Fire vaulted over (all round).
1. Laaa uqsimu bihaazal balad
2. Wa anta hillum bihaazal balad
3. Wa waalidinw wa maa walad
4. Laqad khalaqnal insaana fee kabad
5. Ayahsabu al-lai yaqdira ‘alaihi ahad
6. Yaqoolu ahlaktu maalal lubadaa
7. Ayahsabu al lam yarahooo ahad
8. Alam naj’al lahoo ‘aynayn
9. Wa lisaananw wa shafatayn
10. Wa hadaynaahun najdayn
11. Falaq tahamal-‘aqabah
12. Wa maaa adraaka mal’aqabah
13. Fakku raqabah
14. Aw it’aamun fee yawmin zee masghabah
15. Yateeman zaa maqrabah
16. Aw miskeenan zaa matrabah
17. Summa kaana minal lazeena aamanoo wa tawaasaw bissabri wa tawaasaw bilmarhamah
18. Ulaaa’ika As-haabul maimanah
19. Wallazeena kafaroo bi aayaatinaa hum as-haabul Mash’amah
20. Alaihim naarum mu’sadah
Add your email to our mailing list to receive updates: